Friday, March 19, 2021

Moral Tribes - All Human Lives Are Not Equal - 5

I recently read Moral Tribes by Joshua Greene (https://www.amazon.com/Moral-Tribes-Emotion-Reason-Between/dp/0143126059).  It is a great book.  I recommend it to people seeking to understand how our societies my find ways to resolve moral differences.

Even for a utilitarian, not all human lives are equal.  Should you give your money to save the life of a dogmatist that would prefer to use the money you give them to try to end yours?  I want my money to go to people that also are open to helping others that are not in their own group.

I donate money to poor people around the world through Kiva.org.  But there are some I don't donate to because I don't want their system of beliefs to prosper.  I do not want to give money to those that have, codified in their belief system, a mandate to kill individuals unlike themselves.  

My coworker buys expensive cars, food, and travels and puts no money aside in savings.  I am frugal and put money aside for a rainy day.  A rainy day happens and my coworker needs financial help.  Should I share the money I saved by being frugal and reward his extravagant behavior by bailing him out of trouble?

No comments:

Post a Comment