Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Decisions are complicated

Decisions are complicated. But in American politics both sides seem to strongly believe that the decisions are easy and life is full of clear cut black and white/clearly right and wrong choices. I recently experienced a non-political quandry and am not satisfied with either possible choice.

A stray cat has been coming around our house, and I noticed that it was recently injured. Should I call Animal Control? If I do, they will try to catch the cat, and if they succeed, they will search for the owner or try to put the pet up for adoption. But if they don't find the owner, and no one adopts the cat, they will euthanize it. I don't desire that outcome. If I don't call Animal Control the cat will continue to fend for itself, the cat may die as a result of its wound; but it may already have a home nearby will be cared for; or it may survive well despite that injury.

I don't even know the probability of each outcome; and if I did know that it was 40%, 40%, 20% I would still struggle with the decision. Why can't we admit that most political decisions have the same ambiguities?

No comments:

Post a Comment