The public forums of
the Internet such as Facebook and Twitter increase our ability to communicate
and share information with our neighbors. This increases our productivity and
fosters collaboration that was impossible previously. However, these communication forums come with
challenges and one of those challenges is silence of the people. In contrast to the negative aspect we
attribute to this communication because it seems to enhance our willingness to
be rude to one another, it also inhibits many from contributing at all because
when writing in a public forum it is difficult to convey our true message. When I write, I am unable to express my
thoughts and feelings using body language, or use the intonation in my
voice. I am also unable to immediately
observe a listeners reaction to what I am trying to say and adjust my words,
body language, and intonation on the fly.
Finally, without meeting face to face and in person people seem less
inclined to attempt to get along with the others in their presence. Therefore, many people choose not to
contribute to the public discussion because they don't want to anger others and
be attacked by them when their message is misunderstood.
I am not one of the
majority that usually remains silent.
This is not because I hold strong opinions of which I am eager to
defend. It is because I believe some
things need to be discussed and I am willing to make the attempt to hold a
civil discussion even when I know I may be criticized. Today I wrote a short post in a small
community facebook group. I need not
need to make the post; it is not my responsibility to provide clarity to the
issue; but I am willing to share what I truly believe and if I am wrong I am
willing to be corrected. I don't think
most people do the same. I think most
people simply avoid a sensitive issue because we don’t want to build a wall
between ourselves and our neighbors; and the best way may be to say nothing
rather than to risk offense.
It was not easy to
write that facebook post, even though the topic is very mild and not
particularly sensitive. But I desired to
express myself accurately and without offense which required writing the ten
line post, then reviewing it to correct grammar, spelling, and remove as much
content as possible. Also emoticons
really help to try to convey that I want to be friendly and not hostile.
No comments:
Post a Comment